Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Cerebus #43


The votes get counted up. Cerebus and Julius prepare to clash after the winner is announced. Lord Julius has a secret weapon which is setting his son on fire and using him as the Human Torch. The votes are tallied and we're stuck with a 50-50 draw as the issue comes to a close.

I liked the swerve at the end of the issue. Sim was really pushing you to believing you were getting a resolution to the election and gracefully pulled the rug out from under you. So we're left with some big questions now. Where's the missing vote? How are they going to get that vote? Is Cerebus actually going to win? This issue was really effective on a second go through. I've read this story correctly but it built the suspense so well in this issue that I actually had to question if I remembered the results of the election correctly. I was amazed that it suckered me in for a second time.

I place High Society as a must read book for any comic lover. It just shows the potential of what a comic book can do in the hands of a truly great writer. This story arc still remains one of the best comic stories I've ever read.

Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment